[ 13983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590 ... 700  Next

Post subject: Re: HIVE Roleplay (Proper Thread)
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:27 pm 
Master Criminal

((Sapphire))

Third bar tonight and I wasn't ready to quit drinking yet. It was the first night out I'd had in a very long time and I intend to make the most of it. But when I stepped through the bar I felt that I shouldn't be here. The faint sensible side of me was telling me that being here was a bad idea. But I was drunk and I ignored it. I was here to forget that anything remotely bad has every happened. I just wanted to continue having fun, putting real life on hold for a few moments.

Then I saw Dmitri. I shook my head slightly, trying to clear my foggy mind. Oh. So that's why I shouldn't be here. I didn't know if I should ignore him, or at least say hi. We did know each other after all. And it's been a long time.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:51 pm 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

I quickly turned around to busy myself with the latest orders for drinks.
I should have known I wouldn't be able to hide from her.
"Hey, Dmitri."
I glanced up casually to see her leaning drunkenly on the bar. Beneath her mascara, her eyes were tired.
I swallowed, and kept my voice flat. "Hi, Sapphire."
She frowned, perplexed. "You gonna offer me a drink?" she slurred.
I smiled, tightly. "I think you've already had one too many," I told her, sliding brightly-coloured glasses along to the nearest waiting customer.
She scowled. Each one of her expressions was exaggerated by her intoxication, but she didn't seem to notice. "Not a very nice barman," she muttered. "Isn't it your job to make me as drunk as humanly possible before you kick me out?"
"You don't need me to help you with that, Saph. Go to your friends."
She made a petulant face. "But I want to talk to you!"
"There's nothing to talk about, Saph," I reminded her with a shrug as I uncorked new bottles to replace the empty ones behind the bar. "You hate me, remember?"
She murmured something I didn't quite hear.
"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that..."
"Not hate," she said more loudly. "Love."
Oh, great. What a wonderful time for her to declare she still loved me. Just when I had gotten firmly over her and had managed to go without beating anyone up for nearly four months. And when she was completely and utterly hammered to boot.
"What about Flynn?" I asked, choosing to to comment on her announcement.
She waved a hand in the air flippantly, as though batting away some irritating fly. "He's an idiot."
I raised an eyebrow. "It didn't look like that the last time I saw you two together."
She shook her head vaguely to someone over my left shoulder. Clearly, she was already seeing double. At least if I kept talking to her it might stop her drinking some more and ending up needing her stomach pumped. That was what I told myself, anyway.
"He's- he's-" she started, then blinked rapidly and swayed a little, clutching the bar for support. She looked at me with confused eyes. "What was I saying?"
By the time she began to pass out, I was already there, catching her as she fell.
"Hey, hey," I said, gently, "Take it easy."
She tried to get her balance back, but in her stilettos it was too much hard work for her uncoordinated body.
I tried to ignore the feel of her skin against mine as I led her carefully past the bar to the back room. Strictly speaking she wasn't supposed to be in here, but she looked like she needed to sit down. The chairs there weren't particular comfortable, but she leaned gratefully against the freezing wall nonetheless. She closed her eyes, as if trying to blot out the dizziness. It was cooler in here, with a cold, fresh draught rising up from the cellar.
"How much did you drink?" I asked.
She made a non-committal sound. I took it as 'a lot', and moved to get her a water from the dispenser in the corner.
"Here. Drink this. Your'e probably dehydrated and it will help clear your head."
She opened one eye as she took the cup from me. "How do you know so much about curing drunks?"
"I work in a bar, Saph. It's my job to notice when people need to stop drinking and start sobering up."
Irritation flashed in her eyes. I knew why. I was treating her like any other person, not my girlfriend, or more correctly, ex-girlfriend. She tried to stand.
"I don't need to stop," she declared. "I'm having a good time."
I pushed her back down onto the seat with all the force of a dandelion being blown by a breeze. She was too unstable to resist.
We were silent, for a long time. Conscious that I needed to get back out to the bar, I was about to suggest finding one of her more responsible friends when she
said, in a surprisingly lucid way, "It's good to see you again."
I didn't answer.
"Does Eva know you're here? How is she?"
"I work here full time now. She knows everything. She's fine." My replies were stilted, forced.
"Flynn got out of the hospital pretty quickly. He's okay now."
I snorted, but she didn't notice. "I'm sorry I launched into him, Saph, but I'm not sorry for being angry. He tried to kiss you."
I expected her to make a comment about me being jealous and unpredictable or something, but all she said was, "I know. I didn't dance with him again. Tyler took his place in the competition. We won."
"You deserved it. Now come on, I have to go back to work. Up you go," I said, business-like, reaching out for her to grasp my hand and hoist herself upwards.
She didn't. Instead, she tugged my hand, until I was down at her level, and we were centimetres away from each other. And all of a sudden I was kissing her and remembering every single glorious line of her body and it was so wrong - we were broken up, I was over her, and I had to stop now, but I couldn't. All I wanted was her taste, her touch, her smell. It felt so good.
And then I ripped myself away, disgusted by my own behaviour, and by hers, and I couldn't even look her in the eye.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:25 am 
Master Criminal

((Sapphire))

"You don't like me anymore?" I slurred, frowning. "Even though I still care about you?"

He's face tightened, and he didn't look away. Usually, I'd know I'd said too much, been too stupid, but at that moment, I couldn't care any less. "I don't know what to think," He said finally. "And you shouldn't be here."

"What? You chasing me away from here now?" I muttered angrily. "I'll be where I darned well please. And you can't stop me, since you don't care."

"I never said I didn't care," He said sighing.

"Ah. So you still like me," I said triumphantly.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:36 am 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

I wished she was sober. Then what I had to say would matter. But she was too drunk to make any rash decisions, and I knew it would be stupid of me to tell her how I really felt now. She probably wouldn't even remember by tomorrow.
"Of course I still like you," I said, stiffly, "Everyone likes you. But you should hate for what I did because I deserve it."
I turned away from her, leaning heavily on a nearby table.
I heard her stumble up. Her voice was soft like silk when she spoke. "Dmitri..."
That was the final straw. I couldn't take being around her any longer, knowing I wasn't allowed to touch her, kiss her, without feeling as if I had just betrayed both of us. If she hadn't been drunk, she wouldn't have been near me. I wouldn't have been able to look at myself in the mirror each morning if I took advantage of her.
"That's it," I said loudly, "I'm calling you a taxi." I already had my phone out and was dialing away as she spoke.
"Hey!" she yelped. "My friends-"
I spoke hurriedly to the person on the line, and satisfied the car was on its way, went back to Sapphire.
"Tell them you went home-"
I stopped. I was acting as if I wanted to control her every move again, and I really didn't. I sighed, and forced myself to calm down.
I took her hand, painful as it was to do, and reeled her into me, slowly. She looked confused and surprised and probably expected me to kiss her. I didn't. Instead I took her beautiful face in my hands and spoke quietly, hoping against hope it would get through to her.
"Sapphire Mia Lawless, please go home. You're too drunk and you're going to get into trouble or end up in the hospital. If you still care about me at all, you'll go back to your dorm and sleep it off, so that I can know you're safe. Please."
She looked at me, bewildered. And then she nodded.
I hadn't really planned on her actually agreeing, so I hadn't given much thought as to what to say next. "Thank you," I murmured, kissing the top of her forehead briefly. It took all of my determination not to prolong the gesture. "Come on. The taxi will be here in a minute."

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:41 am 
Master Criminal

((Sapphire))

I clung to him as he brought me outside to wait for the taxi, all the while, still slightly confused and frustrated. Why didn't he kiss me? Was he over me already? I know I wasn't, and a stab of jealously flew through me. Why did he have it so easy. I was almost breaking apart, and the only thing that kept me together was dancing.

"I missed you, you know?" I said leaning against him in the cool air. "Why didn't you call me or something?"

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:44 am 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

I sighed.
Someone was covering me at the bar while I waited with Sapphire to make sure she didn't wander off or get run over.
I rested my hand on hers between us, more to keep her from pressing herself further against me than to comfort myself. I didn't have the self-control to take much more of this.
"I thought you hated me," I said flatly. "I didn't think I had the right to call."

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 am 
Master Criminal

((Sapphire))

I pouted. "Didn't you learn anything from me?" I said sulking. "When you scared me, you're supposed to call and explain everything. Or come with flowers begging for forgiveness. Or some cool but romantic thing."

Every single faint hope and wild dream I had after we'd broken up came back to me.

He sighed. "You know I don't do romance well," He muttered.

I pouted again. "You could have asked Eva for advice," I said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. At that moment, it was to me. "She's bound to know about stuff like that.'

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 pm 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

I shook my head slightly, not wanting to talk about this any more.
It was as if she had the ability to unravel every single thing I'd ever worked for since we'd broken up. All the times I'd had to convince myself to stay away from her seemed pointless now. But they were the only strength I had left to sling onto, so I held fast and resisted her, even though it hurt more than anything in the world.
"Taxi's here," I muttered, helping her out across the path. She scowled, but slid in, probably just to get away from me.
I gave the driver money out of my own pocket and told him her address. I had to hope he would actually get her there, but I couldn't go myself. My shift wasn't over for another hour and I didn't have the luxury of having another job to go to if I got fired.
"Saph! He Saph!"
I had retreated to the wall when I saw Alice in the doorway. I remembered her as one of Sapphire's good friends. She seemed the slightly more sober of the two right then. "Where're you going?"
"Home," I said, from my shadowy spot. Alice jumped a mile, almost hitting her head off the roof of the taxi where she leaned inside.
"Dmitri?" she squinted. "What are you doi- oh, you work here! Why's she going home?"
Alice seemed to have conveniently forgotten the circumstances of the break up, which suited me just fine.
"She wasn't feeling well," I said, flatly. "I thought she should get home before she ended up in the hospital."
Alice blinked. "Oh. Right. Well, I should go with her. Check she gets home okay."
This was an arrangement I could live with, but got the feeling that it was more out of desire for gossip than goodwill that she wanted to accompany Saph home.
"Dosvidaniya, Sapphire," I murmured, as they pulled away.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:06 pm 
Master Criminal

((Sapphire))

I sighed and slid down the taxi seats until I was slouching. Why are you so thick headed, Dmitri....I missed you so much. I couldn't tell if it was the alcohol or me talking, but all I knew right then was that breaking up with him was the worst idea I've ever gotten. That includes drinking too much on christmas.

I slid out my phone, wondering if I should text him. Would it be weird?

"Nope," The driver replied, then I closed my eyes, covering my face. Urgh.

"Did I just say everything out loud?" I said not really wanting to know the answer.

"Yep," Alice cut in, before getting interrupted by the driver.

"You should call him. He seems like a nice chap," The driver said.

"Just drive," Alice said, rolling her eyes. "And yes, he's a nice chap. One of the best. Seriously, you should call him sometime, Saph."

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 pm 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

I spent the rest of my shift trying to compensate for the time I'd been gone, and thinking about Sapphire. Every time I'd tried to stop myself she just came flooding back into my thoughts again, so eventually I gave up and even as I was walking home her face still lingered in my mind.
That was when I made up my mind to go and see her as soon as I could, and preferably when neither of us was drunk.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 pm 
Master Criminal

((Sapphire))

Waking up with a hangover was bad. Waking up noticing that you've texted you ex was bad. Waking up with both was probably the start of the worst morning of my life. Unlike the characters in serial dramas, I've always remembered what I did when I was drunk clearly. Right then, I wish I didn't. I couldn't believe that I did what I did last night.

I spent the rest of the morning panicking about whether I should call Dmitri and apologize for my absurd behavior last night, then decided not to. I'll go look him up after class and apologize in person.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:25 pm 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

An illiterate text from Sapphire greeted me when I finally allowed myself to wake up the next morning. Every word was misspelled, and since it had been sent at four a.m, I figured that I shouldn't take personal offence to it. She had definitely been drunk when she wrote it and probably didn't even remember writing it.
I went on with my day as best I could. I let Eva sleep for as long as possible before I got her up, and at least she was able to take my mind off certain...things.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm 
Master Criminal

((Eva))

"Hey, you better get up or you'll be late," Dmitri said gently, shaking me from my dreams. Dreams now, not nightmares. I still ate the pills, but when I didn't, the nightmares didn't come as often, and I had actual dreams again.

I moaned slightly, unwilling to open my eyes. I was up all night, half waiting for the sound of Dmitri's return, the other half texting Isabel and Kezi. I told myself I'd have more self control, but it always deteriorated into "next time".

"Come on. Wake up Evie," Dmitri said again.

I squinted at him through one eye and he laughed. "Miss pirate, breakfast awaits," He said.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

I left her to it, trusting that she would get up in her own time. She rarely missed school these days and not just because she liked to learn; now she had friends to keep her company and she enjoyed it - at least as much as any ordinary teenager could enjoy school, of course.
We ate breakfast in comfortable quiet, occasionally talking, though I had to remind her that her phone was not permanently attached to her hand at least twice. It was funny, how she had become so normal - she didn't need me to care for her so much any more, and I had to admit I missed that a little. I was so used to it, that it didn't seem right when she didn't need my help or company.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:40 pm 
Master Criminal

((Eva))

I finally put my phone down, concentrated on breakfast. I should probably make a rule or something. No using of phones while eating. But it was so handy. I could "talk" with Dmitri, and my friends all the time. I felt like an old lady discovering the joys of the phone for the first time.

After breakfast, I tried to do the dishes, but Dmitri pushed me away, shooing me off the school. I rolled my eyes. Are you getting rid of me? I wrote on the phone, eyeing him suspiciously.

He laughed, shaking his head. "Where are you getting all you ideas from, young lady," He said giving me a grin.

From myself, naturally, I said proudly. Where else?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:10 pm 
HIVE Student

(Dmitri)

I laughed and shook my head, and she went on her way. Now that I was alone, however, the flat was eerily silent.
I had an early shift at the bar tonight but it couldn't come quick enough; I didn't know what to do with myself.
Time eventually began to pass, though, and when I chickened out of visiting Saph straight away I postponed it until two days later. It was the weekend, so she would be home, and I figured she would have gotten past her hangover by now.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
HIVE Candidate

((@Inresponsetoalloftheaboveposts: *Can feel the moment building* *Is excited for the moment* ))

(Chais)
He let me talk for ages.
Rant, really; through the hollow bits and those which caused my eyes to glaze over; to silence me at points when I felt I could not continue.
But it did, as anger does, dwindle to a close. When I had nothing left to give, I slumped, exasperated, hating this moment, myself, him, her, James, Nero, Butler, Antonio, Caterina...
All of them.
'Here's what I think, Chais,' James said, as if continuing a conversation we had both been privy to, as oppose to his actual participation; the passive, mute state he had sat in for the last three hours, listening. 'The way you get angry is a trigger. I think it's instinctual, and I don't think it's something... curable... at least. I think you need the discipline you never had to teach you how to control it. Y'see, you and your dad were alike in that way-' I snarled, but he continued: '-and pitting himself against you just elevated your belief in importance to get furious- you copied him, thinking eventually, being more angry would beat him. That's the only way he showed power; violence and yelling.'
I was silent, staring at him, uncomprehending because I didn't want to.
'I'm nothing like him.'
'No. So I propose we put-'
'I'm nothing like him, James.' He looked up, meeting my gaze.
I was desperate, beginning to lose it. 'NOTHING! NOTHING LIKE HIM!'
I missed a few beats in the haze of impending fury.
'Not yet, Chais. That's why we need to sort this.'

“Yes?”
“and follow your star...”
“Yes?”
“you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy.”

~Miss Tick, The Wee Free Men

Last edited by Em!ly on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:13 pm 
HIVE Student

((*laughs* Aww, I'm glad you liked them, Em. Also, prodigious timing! *glomps*))

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 pm 
HIVE Candidate

((Really? *Hides time turner* It's all in the talent for perfect entrances...))

“Yes?”
“and follow your star...”
“Yes?”
“you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy.”

~Miss Tick, The Wee Free Men

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 pm 
HIVE Student

((O.o Coincidental Harry Potter reference? Methinks not. I've been rampaging around Pottermore for the whole day and re-reading the books...Ah yes, the wonderful luxury of having waaaay too much time on your hands...*beams*))

By the way, where HAVE you been?! We missed you!))

(Cesca)

I didn't want to keep track of time as it passed, because every minute, every second that he was in there, he was suffering. And if there was anything I had learned recently, it was that his suffering was my suffering, his pain, my pain, and I did not have a choice in the matter.
Antonio tried to distract me, of course, having seen my frown and grimace. It was no use; I was not prepared to leave, and he was too stubborn to go. Our stalemate was more mildly irritated than truly angry, simply because I didn't have the energy.
Eventually, Antonio said, "You should get some sleep, principessa."
"No." I answered, flatly.
He put his hands on my shoulders in a brotherly gesture, and he sounded genuinely worried about me. "You've been staring out that window for hours. It's not good for you. Rest, instead."
"I have to be here for him."
"I know," he said, surprising me. "But not every moment of every day. You're not his slave, or a robot. If you're important enough to him he'll understand. Besides," I heard him smiling a little, "There's a chance he won't want to talk any more at all when he gets out of there."
He had a point.

[ 13983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590 ... 700  Next